There is no deadline. Applications for the SUNF are accepted and reviewed on an on-going basis.
Some possible examples are proposals that will allow an organization to:
- Conduct emergency repairs of building structure or mechanical systems (heating/cooling, water service, etc.) whose sudden and unexpected failure interferes with the provision of services. Examples of a grant of this nature would be repair costs for a leaking roof resulting from an extreme weather event.
- Replace essential equipment and technology whose need could not have been anticipated or budgeted and whose sudden and unexpected failure interferes with the provision of services. An example would a crisis hotline phone system that fails without warning.
- Provide resources whose need could not have been anticipated or budgeted, and without which the work of the organization would be severely hampered. An example of this type of grant is training on post-traumatic stress disorder for school guidance counselors supporting children severely impacted by a disaster or traumatic event.
- Manage an unanticipated leadership transition or emergency succession of an executive director. An example of a grant of this nature is staffing costs for someone to fill a capacity need caused by the sudden departure of the organization's executive director.
There is no specified grant period. The organization will be expected to begin utilizing the grant immediately upon receipt and expend the funds in an expeditious manner.
Yes, funding is available to qualified nonprofit 501(c)(3) organizations in Bexar and the seven contiguous counties (Atascosa, Bandera, Comal, Guadalupe, Kendall, Medina and Wilson).
Organizations wishing to apply must complete one copy of the on-line application and budget form plus the following documentation:
- A list of the Board of Directors and their community or professional affiliations
- The current year’s annual organizational budget
- Bids from consultants, contractors or vendors, if applicable.
Yes. You may save your application and make changes prior to submitting. We recommend that you may print the application and review for completeness prior to submitting. Incomplete applications—that is, not answering all questions in the on-line applications and including all of the attachments—will not be considered.
To avoid being logged out, applicants should use the Save as Draft button at least every 30 minutes. An applicant will be automatically logged out of the system after 90 minutes without saving and all work will be lost.
Yes, typing the name of the head of organization and board chair/president on the last page of the application acts as a signature and acknowledges that both have reviewed the application and all required attachments. Head of organization and board chair are expected to be able to answer questions about the application.
All grant applications and required attachments must be submitted electronically. We will not accept emails, faxes or hard copies.
Upon submission of your grant application, you will receive an automated response.
If you do not receive an automated response after submitting, please contact Gavin Nichols
, at firstname.lastname@example.org
No. Each organization may submit only one application at a time.
Yes. Organizations should ask for the amount needed to meet the special and urgent need, up to $20,000.
The board and staff of the San Antonio Area Foundation serve as stewards of our donors’ funds and, therefore, must have confidence that the investments we make in organizations are sound. The financial statements and budget (part of the application form) are reviewed to determine the financial stability of each organization.
Applications are reviewed by San Antonio Area Foundation staff and a review committee of the Santikos Foundation Board of Trustees.
Notification of grant awards will be within six business days after receipt of the application. Checks and contracts will be mailed as soon as processed after the decision to award is made.
Yes. Applying for the SUNF grant does not exclude you from applying for any of the Area Foundation’s grant processes.
For more information about the Area Foundation grant processes, see: San Antonio Area Foundation Grants
If you have any questions, please contact Gavin Nichols at 210.242.4720 or email@example.com