Strengthening Nonprofits Grants
Nonprofit organizations are on the front lines meeting community needs. A healthy nonprofit sector is critical to the future of our community.
The Area Foundation awards grants that build the organizational capacity of nonprofit agencies and help them better fulfill their missions and serve their clients. Grants are awarded in a two phase process.
Funding is available for:
- Leadership training, coaching, professional/staff development
- Strategic planning, consulting services, technology resources
- Peer learning, learning communities
- Other areas that will build the capacity of nonprofit organizations, enabling them to better fulfill their mission.
- Nonprofit agencies submit a Phase I grant to apply for funding to conduct the Core Capacity Assessment Tool (CCAT), an online assessment to identify the agency's strengths and opportunities for improvement. Phase I applications can be submitted any time throughout the year, with deadlines occurring at midnight Central time on the first business day of each month. Funding will be announced by the end of each month.
2017 Phase I deadlines are:
Tuesday, January 3
Wednesday, February 1
Wednesday, March 1
Monday, April 3
Monday, May 1
Thursday, June 1
Monday, July 3
Tuesday, August 1
Friday, September 1
Monday, October 2
Wednesday, November 1
Friday, December 1
2017 Phase II deadline:
Friday, May 5 - Please note there is only one deadline in 2017.
- Nonprofit agencies that conduct the CCAT from the Phase I grant will convene their Board of Directors and senior staff members to develop a plan for strengthening their agency that aligns with the assessment results, which forms the basis for the Phase II funding request. Nonprofit agencies may then apply for a Strengthening Nonprofits Phase II grant to implement the project. Review the list of Strengthening Nonprofit Phase II grant awards from inception to date.
- Phase II applications can be submitted from Wednesday, February 1, 2017 through Friday, May 5, 2017 at midnight CST. Funding will be announced the week of Monday, August 14, 2017.