The Annual Responsive Grants process has been strategically designed to leverage community leadership, convening power, and capacity building efforts to advance equity in San Antonio. By providing general operating awards, we take an asset-based approach to allow organizations to focus on mission to address the needs of individuals and communities they serve.
Our primary four impact areas include: Cultural Vibrancy, Livable and Resilient Communities, Successful Aging, and Youth Success. Each impact area has a dedicated Program Officer to build relationships with nonprofits and lending support with technical assistance and problem solving.
By partnering with the community, the Annual Responsive Grants process aims to build a city where San Antonio area residents are deeply connected, have equitable opportunities to thrive, and contribute to the vitality of the community.
Information about our Annual Responsive Grants process can be found below. For information about our other grants please visit our Grants page.
Organizations eligible for funding meet the following criteria:
- Nonprofit work takes place in one of the following counties: Bexar, Atascosa, Bandera, Comal, Guadalupe, Kendall, Medina or Wilson.
- Organizations exempt from federal income tax under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, schools, churches or governmental bodies for a minimum of one year as of February 27, 2020.
- Minimum organization budget expenses of $40,000 in the most recent, completed fiscal year.
Our annual responsive process for 2020 is closed. Please check back for update on our 2021 timeline.
Annual Responsive grants support organizations whose services align with the vision of at least one of our four primary impact areas:
Supports organizations and programming that ensure access to arts and cultural programming and encourage broad participation from all parts of our community; reflect the diverse cultures of the San Antonio area; and promote the value of arts and culture through arts education, advocacy, and the integration of arts and culture across sectors through innovative collaboration.
Livable and Resilient Communities
Supports organizations, programs and initiatives that further access to affordable, safe, and stable housing; transportation; wellness resources and public spaces; public-private partnerships to create sustainable opportunities and address disparities in these areas across the San Antonio area; and platforms for community/stakeholder voice and leadership.
Supports organizations and programs that address the needs of older adults and their caregivers; recognize their ongoing contributions to diverse communities across the San Antonio area; provide opportunities for older adults to engage and connect; and build awareness of and collaboration between existing resources.
Supports organizations and programs that encourage the achievement of all youth within the community throughout a student’s education (cradle to career) ; address disparities across youth educational outcomes; provide equitable access to scholarships; and engage communities by strengthening youth leadership and providing educational activities for parent and caretakers.
Priority is given to organizations serving under-represented and under-served communities.
Annual Responsive grants do not support the following:
- Capital campaigns
- Religious purposes
- Debt reduction
- Indirect costs
- Scholarships for colleges, universities and trade schools
- Political activities, organizations, or lobbying efforts intended to influence legislation
- All grant seekers must create an account to access the online application. Please click here to create an account in our Grants Center. You will receive an email confirming you have created an account.
- Applications must be submitted via our online Grants Center.
- Completed applications must be submitted by the deadline. Any application that is received after the deadline will not be eligible for funding.
- For grantees, please download and review the Media Guidelines to assist you in publicizing and referring to your grant.
Click to review the Media Guideline to assist you in publicizing and referring to your grant.
Click here to create an account to access the online application.
Past Grant Awards
In 2019, our Annual Responsive grantmaking process awarded 98 organizations, totaling $3 million in grants. An intentional process was created to ensure that we were advancing equity through our grantmaking efforts.
In 2018, Annual Responsive grant cycles funded the program areas of: animal services, arts and culture, children and youth, community-at-large, medicine and healthcare, and seniors.
Those eligible to submit applications include nonprofit organizations exempt from federal income tax under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, schools, churches or governmental bodies that serve Bexar and the following surrounding counties: Atascosa, Bandera, Comal, Guadalupe, Kendall, Medina and Wilson.