The Santikos Story
The San Antonio Area Foundation has the privilege of carrying out Mr. John L. Santikos’ commitment of making a difference throughout the community he loved. As a philanthropist, Mr. Santikos’ charitable interests addressed an array of community needs that include:
- Assisting people in need, specifically individuals with mental and physical challenges, seniors, victims of child abuse and victims of disasters
- Advancing health through healthcare and wellness initiatives, and medical research
- Supporting youth and education though college and university programs, pre-k to 12 initiatives, scholarships, and youth development programs
- Supporting Arts and Culture through arts education, libraries, museums, public parks, public radio and public television
Grants for capital projects and significant naming rights opportunities are available to organizations aligned with Mr. Santiko’s charitable interests and seeking opportunities to grow.
The Capital and Naming Rights grant process will not be held in 2020 or 2021.
Requests to the John L. Santikos Charitable Foundation, fund of the San Antonio Area Foundation, for capital support are limited to organizations that are:
- 501(c)3 charities, academic and public sector institutions
- Located in Atascosa, Bandera, Bexar, Comal, Guadalupe, Kendall, Medina and Wilson counties
- Within the charitable interest areas set forth by Mr. Santikos.
I. All proposals must present a significant naming rights opportunity and will be limited to requests for:
- Renovation, restoration, construction, acquisition and expansion projects
II. All proposals must also meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Be new, unique and/or introduce national best practices in the San Antonio area
- Demonstrate exceptional, potential impact measured by one or more of the following:number of people served, type and scope of impact it will foster, and opportunities for scalability.
III. Extra consideration will be given to proposals that also accomplish one or more of the following:
- Align with city, county or other regional priorities
- Align with the Area Foundation's Cultural Vibrancy, Livable and Resilient Communities, Successful Aging, or Youth Success priorities; or the Successfully Aging and Living in San Antonio (SALSA) strategic initiative
- Seek to match or leverage national funds
Grant applications will not open in 2020.
- Please note that the application for a capital grant will not exclude organizations from applying for other funding opportunities at the Area Foundation.
- At any time after applications are available and before the deadline, you may access, save, complete and submit the application.
- All grant seekers must create an account to access the online application. You will receive an email confirming you have created an account.
- When the application opens, you will be able to preview the application without having to log on. Please note, you cannot save data while in preview mode.
- Each organization may submit only one application at a time.
- Applications must be submitted electronically. Any application sent to an individual staff member of the Area Foundation cannot be accepted. We will not accept emails, faxes or hard copies.
- When you have submitted your application, you will receive an automated response stating the Area Foundation has received your application.
- Please download and review the Media Guidelines to assist you in publicizing and referring to your grant.
Click to review the Media Guideline to assist you in publicizing and referring to your grant.
Click here to create an account to access the online application.