Working with the Area Foundation
Your clients respect your knowledge and expertise. You can look to our expertise to add a charitable component to your menu of services, enhancing your client relationship. You are an important part of creating legacies in our community, and we can provide you with tools to talk with your clients about charitable giving.
For more than 50 years, the San Antonio Area Foundation has worked hand-in-hand with our community's professional advisors. We provide a simple, powerful and highly personal approach to giving with sound investment management to fit your clients' needs. Our charitable solutions offer maximum available tax benefits and the peace of mind that comes from working with a reputable organization that has deep knowledge of our community.
We support you and your clients through every step of the giving process, while you retain complete control of your client relationships.
Solutions for Your Clients
Most of your clients come to you for your expertise in protecting and extending their assets throughout their lifetime, and then ensuring that what remains at death is distributed according to their wishes.
Your clients have distinct charitable interests and unique financial circumstances. We help you make the most of both, to maximize return on their investment. Our flexible and highly personal giving solutions strengthen your client relationships. We provide the professional skills and local knowledge to help you meet your clients' charitable and financial goals.
The Area Foundation offers:
- Respect for your role as your client’s trusted advisor.
- Flexible giving solutions with maximum tax benefits - We have the ability to accept a wide range of gifts: cash, stocks, bonds, property and bequests.
- GiftLaw Pro - a comprehensive charitable giving and tax information service
- Weekly e-newsletter with updated information in charitable tax law
- Estate planning tools, including questionnaires, calculators and access to charitable giving tools
- Local expertise - we are a local organization with in-depth knowledge of community needs and the programs that are making a difference
We offer various types of funds to meet your clients' unique financial and charitable needs. As a 501(c)(3) public charity, we are transparent with our administration and financials, so you can rest assured your clients' charitable assets will be managed reputably.
Take advantage of our Advisor toolkit and resources and contact us with any questions.
These resources are made available by the San Antonio Area Foundation to all advisors as a free service:
- GiftLaw® includes overviews of new legislation and legislative proposals, summaries of recent IRS private letter rulings, recent court decisions and case of the week presentations. Sign up to receive this newsletter.
- GiftLaw Pro® is a comprehensive charitable giving and tax information service
- Gift Legacy® includes news from Washington, Savvy Living, gift stories, finance news and timely articles. Sign up to receive this newsletter.
- Planned Giving Center - A full website resource devoted to planned giving
- Sample Bequest Language
- Materials for you and your clients - We provide materials for you to use and customize when working with your clients to achieve their charitable and financial goals. Materials include bequest language, sample fund agreements, and informational flyers for your clients on a range of charitable giving issues. Contact us to request these tools.
How to Discuss Charitable Giving with Your Clients
We understand that clients may not be considering philanthropy when they have an appointment with their legal or financial advisors, and many professionals have told us they are reluctant to raise the issue. We are here to help guide you through these conversations.
Seven scenarios when charitable giving may be brought up:
You are aware of significant tax advantages your client can achieve by including a charitable provision in his or her estate plan. Your client’s bequest can create a fund that will contribute forever to causes that are important to them. The San Antonio Area Foundation can help your client identify his or her charitable goals and help you maximize the tax benefits of the bequest.
Your client just earned a large bonus or his business created extraordinary profits. He wants to share that good fortune with the community but has little time at year’s end to decide how to maximize the impact of such good fortune. You can recommend establishing a donor-advised fund (or other funds) at the Area Foundation, which would allow your client to realize an immediate tax deduction and have the opportunity to seek advice regarding the most effective use of his charitable assets. Actual grant-making can be done at the client's convenience.
Your client has highly appreciated stock and is willing to consider a charitable gift. He or she may realize a tax deduction for the full market value, while avoiding the capital gains tax that would otherwise arise from the sale of the stock. Closely held stock can also be used as gift property.
Your client finds he or she is not reaping sufficient income from the appreciated assets he or she has accumulated. The Area Foundation can show you how charitable gift annuities or charitable remainder trusts can help your client achieve their charitable objectives while preparing well for retirement.
We can help you and your client evaluate the most beneficial asset distribution to minimize taxes, thereby giving more to his or her heirs and still achieving significant charitable objectives. For example, it is usually more tax advantageous for a donor to give retirement assets to charity and other assets to their heirs. Income tax and possibly estate taxes often dilute the value of an IRA or other retirement assets left to an heir.
Your client owns highly appreciated stock in a company that is about to be acquired. The Area Foundation can work with you to suggest several ways to structure a charitable gift (including the use of planned giving techniques) to help your client reduce capital gains tax and maximize the impact to his or her favorite charitable causes.
Your client either doesn't have the substantial resources needed to start a private foundation or lacks the time to oversee its administration. The Area Foundation can help you and your client consider simpler, more cost-efficient alternatives to a private foundation.
Establish your own charitable foundation with minimum administrative and legal requirements. All correspondence and related information to the fund will be branded with your logo. These funds can be managed separately or invested through the Area Foundation's investment portfolio options.
Donor Advised Funds
Consider a donor advised fund or choose from a variety of fund types.
We could establish a lower-cost and tax-wise alternative to a private foundation, such as a supporting organization.