Understanding and improving our community’s health is vital to building an inclusive and equitable San Antonio. Biomedical Research grants are available to support programs dedicated to advancing the prevention, treatment, and understanding of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and infectious diseases.
Click to review the Media Guideline to assist you in publicizing and referring to your grant.
In order to apply for a Biomedical Research Grant, the following criteria must be met:
- Focus on advancing the prevention, treatment and understanding of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and infectious diseases.
- Be a tax-exempt organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Provide programs and services directly benefiting Bexar County and the residents of the surrounding seven contiguous counties.
We support applications advancing the treatment, prevention, and understanding of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and infectious diseases.
Applications are evaluated on:
- Originality and importance of the research
- Likelihood that the project can gain competitive funding nationally
- Project’s benefit to the San Antonio and South Texas community
- Capability of the investigator to complete the study
Priority is given to:
- Junior investigators initiating pilot projects which, if funded, can be leveraged to gain additional national funding
- Senior investigators seeking “bridge” funding to defining new directions for their laboratories
- Laboratories encompassing teaching components, inter-institutional collaborations or scientific inquiries of particular relevance to our South Texas population.
The Area Foundation does not fund:
- Debt reduction
- Operating deficits
- Travel and printing costs related to publication
- Capital campaigns
- Indirect costs
- Scholarships for colleges, universities and trade schools
- Political activities, organizations, or lobbying efforts intended to influence legislation
- All grant seekers must create an account to access the online application. Please click here to create an account in our Grants Center. You will receive an email confirming you have created an account.
- Applications must be submitted via our online Grants Center.
- Complete applications must be submitted by the deadline. Any application that is received after that time or is incomplete will not be eligible for consideration.
- Any Principal Investigator who receives a Biomedical Research grant award in one year is not eligible to apply for the following three years. For example, any investigator who received a grant in 2016, 2017 or 2018 is not eligible to submit an application for 2019.
- Applications are reviewed by the Biomedical Research Community Advisory Committee, a diverse group of community volunteers with expertise and knowledge of Biomedical Research.
- For grantees, please download and review the Media Guidelines to assist you in publicizing and referring to your grant.
Click here to create an account to access the online application.
Past Grant Awards
The San Antonio Area Foundation made one grant in 2020 from the Biomedical Research field of interest funds. The Area Foundation awarded $97,141.00 to Texas Biomedical Research Institute for the San Antonio Partnership for Precision Therapeutics (SAPPT). SAPPT funds are housed and administered by Texas Biomedical Research Institute as a representative of three other partner Institutions: Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), UT Health San Antonio, and The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA). The grant will be used by SAPPT exclusively for the San Antonio Partnership for Precision Therapeutics collaborative research and development efforts to accelerate the understanding, treatment, and prevention of COVID-19.