The San Antonio Area Foundation is pleased to offer a unique opportunity for personal growth and professional development as part of the Foundation’s commitment to equity work, capacity building of our nonprofit sector and commitment to strengthen the leaders of nonprofit organizations in San Antonio. Modeled after the Multicultural Leadership Academy in Chicago, the San Antonio Equity Fellowship Program is a transformational leadership program focused on bringing together African American and Latinx participants who are committed to constructively altering societal conditions toward fuller justice and equity for all. The SA Equity Fellowship Program will provide a series of monthly leadership sessions to nonprofits in the four SAAFdn impact areas of Cultural Vibrancy, Livable and Resilient Communities, Successful Aging and Youth Success in San Antonio who are committed to social change, policy impact, and/or community improvement that serve communities of color throughout San Antonio. This six-month program is focused on strengthening relationships from diverse communities of color. Applicants may be board members, executive directors or senior program staff at their sponsoring organization.
The SA Equity Fellowship Program will result in strengthened leadership for community impact, increased cross-cultural understanding, bolstered community collaboration to address pressing social issues, and a network of diverse leaders who will be able to call upon each other in the future.
Access Your Account or Sign Up
Access to grant reports and other grant information. Applications are accepted online.
Preview Application Process
View available grant application processes.
- One Senior/Executive level Leader or Board member per organization
- Commitment to participate fully and attend all training sessions. (Dates & Times included in application)
- Organizational support for selected participant
- Gender balance, sensitivity to gender expression or orientation
- Must identify as Black, Latinx or Multi-racial
The deadline to submit an application for this program is Sunday, August 1st, 2021.
Participants are expected to be present for the following in-person events:
- Kickoff: Friday, October 8th, 2021; 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- Overnight Retreat I: Friday, October 22nd and Saturday, 23rd, 2021
- Cohort Session: Saturday, November 13th, 2021; 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Cohort Session: Saturday, December 4th, 2021; 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Overnight Retreat II: Friday, January 28th and Saturday, 29th, 2022
- Cohort Session: Thursday, February 24th, 2022; 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
- Graduation/Celebration Ceremony: Thursday, March 10th, 2022; 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Senior Program Officer
Managing Director of Collective Impact
Core learning competencies include:
- Transformational Leadership: Transformational leaders understand their own identities and contribute to change that uplifts others, understand one’s own identity, creates motivating workplaces, communicates an inspiring vision and establishes a compelling moral and ethical framework.
- Intercultural Understanding: Foster an understanding of San Antonio’s African American and Latinx communities and identify common interests while working collaboratively.
- Social Change/Policy Action/Community Improvement: Participants will collaborate with their cohort via ‘affinity groups’ on how to create a better, more equitable San Antonio through social change, policy action and community improvement.
- Arts Expression: Participants will utilize the arts as a catalyst for individual and group creativity, innovation and self-reflection.
- $500 per participant, upon the completion of the program half of funds will be returned to participants who have attended all sessions and completed the final project.
- If cost is an issue, please reach out to Patricia Mejia, at Pmejia@saafdn.org.
Where do I apply?
To apply, go here. Yes, this is the same place you would go to submit a grant application. You will need to create a new user account if you don’t already have one to access the application.
How many individuals will be selected for the program?
We will select up to 20 applicants.
What is the format of the class? Will the sessions be recorded if I have to miss?
The cohort is designed to be relational - with that in mind we intentionally planned for all the sessions to be in person. They will not be recorded. We suggest you hold the session dates on your calendar now in case you are selected.
How much of my payment will I get back if I complete the program?
When a participant completes the whole program, they will be refunded half of their original payment.
When is the $500 fee due?
The fee is due once your application has been accepted and participation in the Equity Fellowship Program confirmed. This is not an application fee. There is no fee to apply.